Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Witch's Christmas by Norman Bridwell

I have a ton of Christmas books in my classroom so I let my class choose which one they wanted me to read on the last day before break. They selected The Witch's Christmas, by the same author of the Clifford books. This book has been mine since 1984, and I know that because I wrote my name and the date on the inside cover.

It had been a long time since I'd read it and was reminded why it should be a Christmas classic.

It snows BLACK snow at the witch's house.


The snowman has snowball fights with you! That would have come in handy when I was a kid with no siblings around to torture me with sneak attacks. I also like how hard the witch is laughing in this illustration.


I would go sledding more often if it weren't for the goddamn climb back up the hill.


Never seen a tree like this one before, and I've seen some sacrilegious trees in my day.


As long as no bats are harmed in the making of the wreath...


How awesome would shopping be?! I like how pissed off the lady waiting in line looks, very true to life. Boys and girls, no short cutting.


SPOILER ALERT!!! On Christmas Eve Santa gets hung up on a space ship. The witch saves the day by conjuring a broom for the astronauts, Santa, and even the reindeer to ride!

"What else could you want if you had a Merry Christmas witch like ours?"

No comments: